Aubigny sur Nere
Picturesque town with a rich past the borders of Berry and Sologne was "Land of Scotland" at the beginning of the fifteenth century.
Her name Albiniacum in the Gallo-Roman, and over time became Aubigny sur Nere. This small river, the Nère, through the city into several branches, disappearing under a house to come out at a street corner, she fed the five mills that were the village.
In the Middle Ages, the land of Aubigny was owned by monks of the chapter of Tours. Encountering serious difficulties in the face of feudal lords in the area, they asked the help of the Capetian kings, Louis VII and Philippe Auguste annexed the city in 1189 to the royal domain. He is of "organizing the city" grouped around the church dedicated to St. Martin, to have walled with two towers are still visible, and with having an administration that will continue until ’the Revolution.
The Hundred Years War
The Hundred Years’ War broke out and the future king of France, Charles VII, fled to Bourges calls for Scotland to "oust the English from France" under the Auld Alliance Treaty signed between the two kingdoms 1295.
He receives the assistance of Constable of Scotland, John Stuart of Darnley, who arrived in La Rochelle with the first Expeditionary Force in 1419. As a reward for his good and brilliant services, Charles VII gave him his land and the town of Aubigny in 1423. It is from this date qu’Aubigny become the city of Stuart’s arms giving him "three ornamental bosses of gold on bottom of mouth."
The fire of 1512
After the devastating 1512 fire that destroyed Aubigny, Robert Stuart, Lord d’Aubigny and Marshal of France, allowed the inhabitants to take the wood in its many forests to rebuild the city.
These are all wonderful house that we can still admire today. This fire was the beginning of an era Aubigny became very prosperous and Manufacture Royale under Colbert in the seventeenth century : wool industries, tanneries, teasel, art glassware.But the bankruptcy of the banker Law will lead to the ruin of these industries and Aubigny will keep only the name "Aubigny les Cardeux".
The arrival of Louise de Keroualle
When the last Stuart of Aubigny disappears in 1672, the city and the land of Aubigny returned to the crown of France. Louis XIV will give it to Louise de Keroualle, Duchess of Portsmouth and favorite of King Charles II Stuart of England she had a son titled "Duke of Richmond". By this gesture, the king of France to thank her for always defended French interests in the court of King of England. On the death of Charles II Stuart in 1685, the Duchess has to leave England and moved to Aubigny. She then devoted himself to his city beautification of the castle, creating the Great Gardens by a disciple of Le Nôtre, and the construction of an orangery.
It removes the tax, obtains the creation of a salt warehouse and promotes the installation in the Rue des Dames of nuns attached to caring for the sick of the Hotel-Dieu, becoming "the Good Lady d’Aubigny."
But money was scarce, she retired to Paris where she died in 1734, bequeathing all his property to his grand-son, the second Duke of Richmond.
It hastens to bring within its sphere of "Goodwood" in south London, all contained castles and houses tapestries, paintings, furniture, porcelain .... And did not return to Aubigny for hunting in its forests.
The end of the Scottish and English presence
When the Revolution broke out, the Duke of Richmond is placed on the list of emigres involving the receivership of all assets. Little by little everything is sold and the city bought the castle and the Great Gardens in 1812. This concludes some four centuries of Scottish and English Aubigny which still retains a deep imprint.